What are the best materials for balcony railings?
What Is The Best Deck Railing Material?
- Steel Railings. Steel is a heavy-duty metal to choose for your railing project. …
- Wood Railings. Wood Railings are a classic rustic look, but maintenance can be time consuming. …
- Vinyl Railings. Vinyl railings are made of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) which is a light and affordable material. …
- Aluminum Railings. …
How to install a balcony railing?
Part 2 Part 2 of 4: Measuring and Cutting the Wood
- Mark the railing height on the posts. Using a tape measure, make a pencil mark in the center of each post.
- Measure the distance between the posts. If you didn’t install the posts yourself, you’ll need to know the exact distance between them so that you can cut the railing …
- Get balusters and wood for the handrail. …
- Finish all of the wooden pieces. …
How to build a planter box on a 2×6 handrailing?
Step 2: Cutting List
- 6 side pieces (1400mm lengths of the decking plank).
- 6 end pieces (630mm lengths of the decking plank).
- 6 legs (30mm x 50mm x 500mm).
- 10 slats for the base.
- 6 lengths of timber to make a baton to hold the base slats (19mm x 32mm x Various).
How to build brackets for balcony planter boxes?
- Table saw
- Miter saw or circular saw
- Brad nailer
- Random orbit sander
1. The Charm of Railing Planters
Railing planters and flowers growing prolifically in them can increase the charm of your balcony garden.
3. Try Thriller-Spiller-Filler Technique
In this planter, the snake plant and purple salvia are used as a thriller, Russian kale as a filler, and sedum and creeping jenny as the spiller. Learn more about this technique here.
5. Black Railing Planter to Match Every Plant
Black color goes well with everything and if your summers are cool, hang black planter boxes over a railing to grow your favorite flowers.
7. Select Great Plant Combinations
8. Grow Shade Tolerant Plants in Shady Balcony
Grow plants like coleus if your balcony is not sunny. Also, check out our list of shade-tolerant succulents to learn about more plant choices.
Also Read: How to Choose Railings for a Balcony
10. Railing Planters Increase the Vertical Space
Railing planters are the best way to increase vertical space in your balcony garden.
Also Read: Vertical Garden Ideas for Balcony
12. Railing Planters in Metal Frame
If not the railing planters that can hang, you can also opt for a frame-like structure to hold your pots and window boxes, just like this blogger here.
14. Railing Planters Boost the Curb Appeal
Railing planters, if planted wisely, can alone boost the curb appeal of your home. You can hang wooden planters on railings as well.
16. How about Growing Succulents
If low-maintenance succulents are your favorite plants, grow them in your balcony railing planters.
18. Handbags and Grow Bags as Railing Planters
Upcycle handbags or grow bags and use them as railing planters. We found this idea here.